Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 1: What are you willing to relinquish? And for what?

One this first day of PAL (Pre-Advent Lent), I gave some thought to what I would "give up" during this time. That's what Christians do during Lent, right? "Give up" stuff? I really prefer the word "relinquish." It's so much more eloquent, and it seems to have a deeper meaning, implying purpose behind the sacrifice. So I've decided that, in the hope of drawing closer to Christ, I will relinquish the following for the next 40 days, starting today:

1) Computer use between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.

2) Sweets (sugary stuff, plus other "junk carbs," like white bread)

3) Christmas shopping. Yes, you read that right. I love to give gifts, but I need to face facts: We don't have much extra money for purchasing presents this year. So I hope the next 40 days will allow me to think of some creative alternatives to consumerism. At the very least, I will be giving myself and my holiday recipients the gift of honesty.

What will you relinquish? And why?

2 comments:

  1. OK, MGBR, I'm in! I like the Pre-Advent Lent concept, though I'm not exactly sure what I am going to 'relinquish'...the idea of giving up frivolous spending does appeal to me for many reasons.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good! I have another pal for PAL. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete